Thu. Sep 16th, 2021

We always said, every business has its own taste and flavours, and may need specially assisted or customised ERP software solutions to fulfil them. But in general, plain vanilla can be called the flavour of every business. Already, the disaster stories of failed ERP implementations are quite popular and most of the times over expectations from the solution or extreme customization is to be blamed for project failures.

The term “vanilla ERP” was first introduced in the 90’s by top vendors like SAP and Oracle. ‘Plain vanilla’ simply refers to an out-of-the-box implementation style that has little or no modifications at all in the basic design of the ERP solution code. Vanilla ERP pushes back the concept of never ending customizations in the original solution and encourages the use core ERP functionalities. This blog throws some light on why vanilla is considered to be the best select for ERP deployment in your organization.

1. Refined Business Process – Plain Vanilla ERP implementation demands rigorous reworking of business processes, which results in filtering of unnecessary, redundant practices and in turn refining them into a simple and easy to execute form. This process also eliminates complex procedures and inadequate functionalities to ensure project success at the grass root level. Solid management backup is required for performing such re-engineering of business processes, but once the motive is clear, the new process adoption becomes quite easier for both management and employees.

2. Saves you from the Implementation Headache – Customization, though make the ERP solution a perfect glove fit for your business processes but also raise the level of complexity and risk of implementation failure significantly. Many a times, due to excess modification and customization, the basic custom code of the solution might no longer work as per your unique business operations, which may leave you ‘hanging into the middle’ situation. The best way is the straight road with simple and uninterrupted implementation process.

3. Easy on Pocket – Generally speaking, Vanilla ERPs are built on the Pareto’s principle or 80-20 rule, considering that 80% of the processes are same for most of the organizations. The uniqueness in business operations can be accounted for 20% or lesser. With 80% of features matching your business processes/requirements exactly, investing on customization for remaining 20% is always better than to invest in customizing a solution 100% from scratch. So, the plain Vanilla ERP solution saves a lot of finances as compared to their customized counterparts. This is because additional work on the basic design of the software incurs costs towards development, design, and implementation efforts. Cost is directly proportional to the extent of customization, the less the better for the organization in the long run.

4. Smooth Upgrades – Software upgrades are always designed keeping in mind the basic design of the solution. Hence, when an upgrade is loaded on the customized solution, the system fails to bring the entire process to execution, consequently, the complete supply chain may come to a standstill. Therefore, upgrades are always accompanied by patches and add-ons for a customized solution, but even then there are fat chances of upgrade failure. It may result into the exhaustive process of reversal that demands a lot of time, labour and additional expenditure. Plus, the interrupted production may result into serious delivery issues with your valuable customers.

So, cutting the long story short, a Plain Vanilla ERP implementation might not always allow full integration into the business process but certainly proves to be reliable in the long run for any organization. Though, the Vanilla flavour might not come with additional yummy hot fudge and fancy sprinklers in your Sunday special, but certainly it’s the best flavour to relish the smooth and stress-free taste for your valuable investment into an ERP project.

By BatchMaster Software

BatchMaster Software Pvt. Ltd. is a leading vendor of ERP Software in all the 7 continents. With over 30 years of presence in the ERP market & 2000+ customers situated all over the globe, BatchMaster is a mature organization of 500 plus employees.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *