Yes, it’s incredibly powerful – but is it enough?
There’s been a security breach. It’s every CIO and CTO’s nightmare. Your tech team is at a standstill, with no idea what happened, and the clock is ticking. Suddenly, that quiet guy in the corner – yes, the one who wears the same black hoodie every day – has the answer. And how did he find it? Splunk – the Big Data analysis tool that may just be the best software technology a lone IT ranger ever sneaked in the back door of your enterprise.
Founded in 2003, Splunk has seen its success rise in tandem with the rush of organizations undergoing digital transformation. Very simply put, Splunk is a software platform that indexes machine data and turns it into accessible, actionable intelligence. The company’s motto is “any question, any data, one Splunk” – and they mean it. Here are 5 key areas where that “one Splunk” can improve your enterprise through operational intelligence:
- Applied to IT operations, Splunk can predict service degradation, and measure the impact of a critical service going offline.
- It can also analyze application performance, uncovering the cause of crashes and comparing the performance of various releases.
- On the security front, data analyzed by Splunk can detect breaches, and help prevent or stop an attack.
- Marketing departments love Splunk for its ability to provide insights into user behavior, revenue sources and competitive analysis.
- And when it comes to the biggest data generator of them all, the Internet of Things, Splunk allows organizations to integrate sensor data with other controls, predict downtime and assess cyber-security threats.
In addition to its breadth of applications, Splunk offers additional benefits. First, it delivers analyses in real time, allowing users to respond instantly to events and insights. It’s also a highly scalable solution – under the right conditions. So what’s the catch? For many organizations, it’s that Splunk becomes a victim of its own success.