Oracle Expands Database Cloud Portfolio with Unprecedented Enterprise-Class Capabilities
Industry’s Most Comprehensive Set of Services for Oracle Databases in the Cloud is Now Available
Oracle OpenWorld, San Francisco—Oct 26, 2015
Oracle today announced new Oracle Database Cloud offerings, expanding its broad portfolio of Oracle Cloud Platform services that enable organizations to deliver reliable, scalable, and secure database-driven solutions and applications in the cloud. New mission-critical capabilities available now include clustering for fault-tolerant availability and on-demand scalability; zero data loss disaster recovery; and Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Service. Oracle is also announcing a new, free database cloud service that enables DBAs and developers to try Oracle Database in the Oracle Cloud at no cost and no risk.
“Oracle brings four decades of database experience and leadership to the cloud, enabling our customers to deploy the best database cloud solutions and realize greater agility and lower cost,” said Andy Mendelsohn, executive vice president, Database Server Technologies, Oracle. “With the new capabilities, Oracle is now uniquely placed to address the needs of developers, small businesses, departments within large enterprises and enterprise IT by providing the industry’s most comprehensive set of database cloud services.”
Available today, the new capabilities in Oracle Database Cloud deliver:
- Platform for Mission-Critical Applications: Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Service offers unmatched scalability, performance and availability for Oracle Database. Enterprises can leverage the full power of the Oracle Exadata Database Machine to run mission-critical applications and consolidate databases in the Oracle Cloud.
- High Availability and Scalability: Enterprises for the first time can leverage Oracle’s popular and highly regarded database clustering solution in the cloud. As part of Oracle Database Cloud and Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Service, Oracle Real Application Clusters provides out-of-the-box, scale-out database performance on-demand and fault tolerant database availability.
- Disaster Recovery: Businesses can now implement a real-time cloud disaster recovery solution that protects Oracle databases in the event of a site or regional outage. As part of Oracle Database Cloud and Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Service, Oracle Active Data Guard provides continuous zero-data loss replication from Oracle databases that reside on-premises or in the Oracle Cloud to an active standby database in the Oracle Cloud. Enterprises can also boost resource utilization and productivity by offloading production reporting, ad-hoc queries and backups to the active standby Oracle Database.
- Development and Test Services: Oracle offers free trials that developers can leverage to create cloud-native Web, departmental, and enterprise applications. Developers can use a comprehensive suite of services for dev/test with Oracle Database Cloud, including the new free service and access to Oracle Java Cloud Service, Oracle Database Backup Service and Oracle Storage Cloud Service.
“Only Oracle’s cloud technology frees us entirely from licensing, configuring, and managing our business-critical database and application server environment,” said Zaki Sabbagh, CIO, Zamil Industrial Investment Group. “With Oracle, we did not need to modify anything in our databases in order to migrate to the cloud. As a result, we gained the ability to implement new business requirements for critical applications immediately—which is a major competitive advantage.”
Oracle Database Cloud Portfolio
The Oracle Database Cloud offers a broad portfolio of services that meet the capacity and service level needs of developers, small businesses and global enterprises. Databases can be provisioned in minutes, offering complete compatibility with on-premises databases and built-in security with end-to-end data encryption. Customers can choose either Oracle-managed or fully automated administration, which includes automated patching, upgrades, backup and recovery. As a result, IT can greatly improve agility and reduce costs.
- Oracle Database Cloud Service: Businesses can provision a fully-managed database to quickly develop and deploy departmental applications or an automated cloud database to support mission-critical enterprise applications. A broad range of choices are available which include Oracle Database features and options for maximum performance, availability, security and consolidation.
- Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Service: Enterprises can now deploy mission-critical production OLTP databases and data warehouses in the Oracle Cloud. The Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Service runs on the Oracle Exadata platform, which is in production at thousands of sites worldwide. The service includes built-in high performance and availability with features such as Oracle Multitenant, Oracle Database In-Memory, Oracle Real Application Clusters, Oracle Active Data Guard, InfiniBand Fabric, and Smart Flash Cache.
- Oracle Database Backup Service: The Oracle Database Cloud family also includes a highly scalable, low-cost solution for enterprises to store backups from Oracle databases that are on-premises or in the Oracle Cloud without having to worry about shrinking backup windows, lost data or incomplete recovery. Databases can be backed up to the Oracle Cloud using the same process as on-premises backups to disk or tape. Data is encrypted at the source and triple-mirrored in the cloud so it’s safe and always recoverable.
“As a reseller of Oracle technologies and cloud services, it’s critical for us to support a wide spectrum of businesses requirements,” said James Anthony, CTO, Red Stack Tech. “We support customers who are looking for enterprise-grade database solutions that deliver extreme performance and availability, as well as those who are interested in a schema service or a database backup service. We’re very pleased that Oracle has taken the lead by providing a comprehensive set of database cloud services that support the variety of use cases we see in our customer environments—from development and testing to business-critical workloads for private, public and hybrid clouds.”
About Oracle Cloud
The Oracle Cloud continues to show strong adoption, supporting 70+ million users and more than 34 billion transactions each day. It runs on more than 50,000 devices and more than 800 petabytes of storage in 19 data centers around the world.
Oracle offers a comprehensive and fully integrated stack of cloud applications and platform services. For more information about Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The preceding is intended to outline our general product direction. It is intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle’s products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle Corporation.