The market for IoT healthcare technology is forecasted to rise to $400 billion by 2022. What are the key advantages and disadvantages of implementing IoT systems in healthcare?
IoT in Healthcare-The Internet of Things (IoT) is quickly gaining popularity in all spheres of life, healthcare systems in particular. In a nutshell, the technology allows multiple connected devices to collect and share information with each other.
What does this mean for healthcare?
In fact, the applications are so diverse that you probably wouldn’t believe these examples are taken from real life. Here are just a few:
- Symptom-tracking apps that send updates on responses to cancer treatment to the physician and which can avoid hospitalization
- Connected hospital equipment that notifies doctors of their current location, informs the hospital management of the replacement needs and monitors staff performance
- Remote temperature monitoring ensuring the correct transportation and storage of vaccines
- Healthcare IT solutions that remind patients to refill medication and digestible sensors that trigger a notification if the medication hasn’t been taken on time
- Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM) and smart insulin pens that record and recommend the time and the amount of insulin dose injection which come to the rescue to diabetics
- Smart inhalers connected to an app that help people with asthma and pulmonary disease understand what causes the symptoms and predict allergens
Given such examples, the Internet of Things (IoT) is seen as a way of living a smarter and safer life and its application is highly encouraged in medical establishments. However, digital transformation in healthcare isn’t without threats. It’s important to weigh all the advantages and disadvantages of implementing IoT systems in healthcare to be able to plan for ways to maximize the pros while mitigating the cons.
Major Advantages of IoT in Healthcare
The overall importance of healthcare software solutions is difficult to overestimate as technology promises to make healthcare services more effective and alleviate the burden placed on healthcare providers. This is critical in the context of the aging population and the increase in the number of chronic diseases.
The main advantages of IoT implementation in healthcare:
- Remote monitoring: Real-time remote monitoring via connected IoT devices and smart alerts can diagnose illnesses, treat diseases and save lives in case of a medical emergency.