Information from other sources: we may receive information about you from other sources (eg missing information about your postal or email addresses) and add it to the personal information we hold about you.
- How we use the information that we collectWe own the information we collect through this website. We will use it, as applicable, to:
- provide you with services or information that you have requested or products or services that you have ordered, such as magazine subscriptions;
- contact you regarding your registered account with us;
- confirm or fulfill an order you have submitted
- inform you if you have won a prize
- monitor or improve the performance of, and products and services available through, this website
- customise the advertising and content that you see
- monitor compliance with our terms and conditions of use of this website, enforce our rights and protect the safety of others including investigating and if necessary removing any content about which we receive a complaint
- send you promotional materials or special offers on our behalf or on behalf of our group companies and marketing partners. If you do not want to receive this marketing information you can notify us of this as part of the registration process. You can stop receiving this information at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions on the correspondence you receive, by amending your marketing preferences, or by emailing email@example.com giving your email address and details of the information you no longer wish to receive
- for any purpose if we are required to do so by any law or other regulatory or government authority
Please note that if you upload or post any information to a public part of the Website, we may use it in accordance with our terms and conditions of use and it may be viewed and used by others. ERPINNEWS accepts no responsibility for this.
- Security: In accordance with our requirements under the Data Protection Act 1998, we will adopt appropriate security procedures to help prevent unauthorised access to your information. ERPINNEWS shall not be liable for any attempt to hack or crack or otherwise gain access to any part of this website including any of your information.
- A note for parents concerning privacy: this website is a general audience website. On the website, we do not currently knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of sixteen. If, in the future, we collect personally identifiable information from children on the Website, we will do so in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations including, without limitation, obtaining parental consent where necessary. The Internet offers children wonderful educational and entertainment resources. Your guidance and involvement are essential to help ensure that children have a safe and rewarding online experience. We encourage you to visitgoogle.co.uk/goodtoknow/familysafetyand the GetNetWise website to learn more about parental control tools.
- Questions about this website and the information we hold about you: if you have any general questions about this website or the information we have collected about you and how we use it, you can contact the, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about your information including what we hold and how it is used, you can contact us at email@example.com You are entitled to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you (for which we may charge a small fee) and to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that the website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the website. The cookie will collect information relating to your use of our sites, information about your device such as the device’s IP address and browser type, demographic data and, if you arrived at our site via a link from third party site, the URL of the linking page. If you are a registered user or subscriber it may also collect your name and email address, which may be transferred to data processors for registered user or subscriber verification purposes.
Cookies record information about your online preferences and help us to tailor our websites to your interests. Information provided by cookies can help us to analyse your use of our sites and help us to provide you with a better user experience.
Cookies are either ‘session’ or ‘persistent’ cookies, depending on how long they are stored for:
- Session cookies are only stored for the duration of your visit to a website and are deleted from your device when you close your browser;
- Persistent cookies are saved on your device for a fixed period of time after the browser has closed and are activated each time you visit the website where the cookie was generated.
In addition to cookies, ERPINNEW’s websites may also use web beacons. A web beacon is a line of code which is used by a website or, less frequently, a third party ad server to measure a user’s activity, such as interaction with an advert or purchase of a product. A web beacon is often invisible because it is only 1 x 1 pixel in size with no colour. A web beacon can also be known as a web bug, 1 by 1 GIF, invisible GIF and tracker GIF.
What are the different types of cookies?
- Essential or ‘Strictly Necessary’ Cookies
These are cookies which are essential for the running of our websites. Without these cookies, parts of our websites would not function. These cookies do not track where you have been on the internet and do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing purposes.
- Functional Cookies
Functional cookies are used to remember your preferences on our websites and to provide enhanced, more personal features. The information collected by these cookies is usually anonymised, so we cannot identify you personally. Functional cookies do not track your internet usage or gather information which could be used for selling advertising, but they do help with serving advertising.
- Analytical Performance Cookies
Analytical performance cookies are used to monitor the performance of our websites, for example, to determine the number of page views and the number of unique users a website has. Web analytics services may be designed and operated by third parties. The information provided by these cookies allows us to analyse patterns of user behaviour and we use that information to enhance user experience or identify areas of the website which may require maintenance. The information is anonymous (i.e. it cannot be used to identify you and does not contain personal information such as your name and email address) and it is only used for statistical purposes
- Behavioural Advertising Cookies
Behavioural advertising cookies, which may be placed on your device by us or our trusted third party service providers, remember that you have visited a website and use that information to provide you with advertising which is tailored to your interests. This is often called online behavioural advertising (OBA) and is done by grouping together shared interests based upon web browsing history. Your web browsing history can be used to infer things about you (e.g. your age, gender etc.), and this information may also be used to make advertising on websites more relevant to you. Although behavioural advertising cookies can track your activity around the internet they cannot identify you personally, even if you are signed in to our website. Without these cookies, online advertisements you encounter will be less relevant to you and your interests. If you would like more information about OBA, including how to opt-out of these cookies, please visit www.youronlinechoices.com.
- Essential and Functional Cookies
We use these cookies to enable certain online functionality including:
- identify returning users, registrants and subscribers and to allow them to be presented with a personalised version of the site;
- eliminating the need for returning users to re-enter their login details;
- commenting on our sites;
- operating a shopping trolley on various of our websites includingmyfavouritemagazines.com andwww.themakingspot.com.
- Analytical Performance Cookies
We use these cookies to measure users’ behaviour to better develop our websites. By using web analytics services provided by Google Analytics and comScore Digital Analytix we can analyse which pages are viewed and how long for and which links are followed, and we can use this information to provide more content which is of interest. We also use this analysis to report on our performance and to sell advertising.
If you would prefer to opt out of analytical performance cookies, please click here.
- Behavioural Advertising Cookies
We use these cookies to:
- to measure general user behaviour across our sites and third party sites to build a profile based on users browsing patterns so that we and third parties can target advertising to users that will be more relevant to users’ interests. This means that if, for example, users visit a page with a review about a particular camera then the cookie will collect this information and we may target adverts for that camera to those users and, if users visit third party sites that are part of the same advertising network, those third parties may target adverts for that camera to those users.
- to create profiles that trusted third parties can buy to allow them to better target their advertising with more relevant content.
We also include web beacons (also known as clear GIFs or web bugs) in our emails to track the success of our marketing campaigns. This means that if you open an email from us we can see which of the pages of our Website you have visited. Our web beacons do not store additional information on your device but, by communicating with our cookies on your device, they can tell us when you have opened our email.
The information generated by the cookie about your use of our sites (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored on servers in the United States and/or United Kingdom. They may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on their behalf. By using this website, you consent to the processing of data about you by those service providers in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
We cannot control nor do we have access to any cookies placed on your computer by third party advertisers and sponsors.
- Other Third Party Cookies
You may notice on some pages of our websites that cookies have been set that are not related to ERPINNEWS. When you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, YouTube or Facebook, these third party service providers may set their own cookies on your device. ERPINNEWS does not control the use of these third party cookies and cannot access them due to the way that cookies work, as cookies can only be accessed by the party who originally set them. Please check the third party websites for more information about these cookies.
Some of our websites use Adobe Flash Player to deliver video and game content to users. Adobe utilise their own cookies, which are not manageable through your browser settings but are used by the Flash Player for similar purposes, such as storing preferences or tracking users. Flash Cookies work in a different way to web browser cookies; rather than having individual cookies for particular jobs, a website is restricted to storing all data in one cookie. You can control how much data, if any, may be stored in that cookie but you cannot choose what type of information is allowed to be stored.
How can I manage or opt out of cookies?
Some people find the idea of a website storing information on their device a little intrusive, in particular when the information is stored and used by a third party. For example, you may object to being served advertising which is targeted to your interests based on your browsing history. If you would prefer to opt out of cookies, it is possible to control cookies by following the steps below, however you should be aware that you might lose some features and functionality of the website if you do so
Cookies, including those which have already been set, can be deleted from your hard drive. You can also change the preferences/settings in your web browser to control cookies. In some cases, you can choose to accept cookies from the primary site, but block them from third parties. In others, you can block cookies from specific advertisers, or clear out all cookies. Deleting or blocking cookies may reduce functionality of the site. To learn more about how to reject cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org or go to the help menu within your internet browser. If you experience any problems having deleted cookies, you should contact the supplier of your web browser.
Opting out of Analytical Performance Cookies:
If you would like to opt out of Analytics cookies, please do so by clicking on the links below:
Comscore Digital Analytix – http://sitestat.com/privacy/
Google Analytics: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Opting out of Behavioural Advertising Cookies:
If you would like to disable “third party” cookies generated by advertisers or providers of targeted advertising services, you can turn them off by going to the third party’s website and getting them to generate a one-time “no thanks” cookie that will stop any further cookies being written to your machine. Here are links to the main third party advertising platforms we use, each of which have instructions on how to do this:
You can find out how to decline other online behavioural advertising by visiting:
If you object to web beacons in emails, we recommend that you follow the instructions for deleting existing cookies and disabling future cookies above. We will still know how many of our emails are opened and we will automatically receive your IP address, a unique identifier of your device or other access device; but we will not identify you as an individual.
Further information and contact details
Please contact ERPINNEWS’s Data Protection team if you would like more information on the cookies that we use and their purposes:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
General information about data protection may be found at:
Information Commissioner’s website: http://www.ico.gov.uk
Direct Marketing Association: http://www.dma.org.uk
Consumer advice from the DMA: http://www.dmaresponsibility.org