- Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google and Microsoft will capture 76% of all cloud platform revenue in 2018, expanding to 80% by 2020.
- Microsoft Azure Stack sparks a jump in private and hybrid cloud spending globally in 2018.
- The total global public cloud market will be $178B in 2018, up from $146B in 2017, and will continue to grow at a 22% compound annual growth rate (CAGR).
- Forrester predicts that more than 50% of global enterprises will rely on at least one public cloud platform to drive digital transformation and delight customers.
- Kubernetes has won the war for container orchestration dominance.
- Enterprises will shift 10% of their traffic from carrier backbones to other providers, and telecom providers like AT&T and Verizon will feel the effects.
These and many other fascinating insights are from Forrester’s Predictions 2018: Cloud Computing Accelerates Enterprise Transformation Everywhere (PDF, 12 pp., client access reqd). Forrester’s predictions reflect the growing dominance of cloud application and development platforms and their role in revolutionizing new business models across enterprises today. Forrester clients no longer questioning whether the cloud is right for their business — they now scramble to decide how soon and how much according to the study.