FOSTER CITY, Calif., Dec. 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Arena Solutions, the pioneer of cloud-based product lifecycle management (PLM) applications, today highlighted how more than 100 customers are already using Arena PLM for creating, designing and manufacturing of products that incorporate Internet of Things (IoT) capabilities.
IoT is an explosive technology megatrend in which previously unconnected devices are being connected to the Internet with fixed IP addresses — all without human intervention — so they can send data to and interact with a central database and, sometimes, with one another. Product companies of all stripes are only just beginning to tap the vast potential of IoT, embedding sensors in everything from medical devices to home appliances and clothes.
But it’s no simple task to add IoT capability to products, especially for products that previously had no embedded electronics at all, and the pressure is growing to release them quickly. In an environment where components are changing fast and engineers are integrating entirely new systems into product designs, as the volume of new IoT devices increases, so have product launch failure rates.
To remain competitive and release IoT capable products on time, companies must:
- Collaborate closely and transparently with not only their suppliers but also with their suppliers’ suppliers in order to resolve issues before they become crises;
- Create a single version of the truth for the product design and its components. Arena PLM keeps everyone up-to-date on the latest product design information to ensure all parties globally are working off the same page;
- Easily compare and communicate with multiple suppliers to ensure that the design incorporates the components for the lowest price consistent with every changing and more rigorous compliance and regulatory requirements;
- Ensure everyone participates in the quality process by integrating quality inside the product record as opposed to a disparate linked third party; and
- Visually analyze key performance indicators so they can recognize trends sooner and move more swiftly to reduce risks before they manifest as serious issues.
Increasingly, technology, consumer electronics and medical device companies are turning to Arena PLM, a cloud-based product lifecycle management (PLM) solution, to speed time to market, reduce costs and optimize their supply chain as they improve quality on complex electronics which have a high mix and high rates of change. More than 100 innovative IoT companies such as Fitbit, Pebble and GoPro already rely on Arena, and more are turning to Arena every day.
For example, these two IoT companies are among the more than 100 who are benefiting from using Arena PLM:
- i4c Innovations provides a platform and smart IoT equipped collar that delivers information on a dog’s vital signs, wellness indicators and health-related reminders to pet owners and veterinarians. With Arena, i4c Innovations has been able to:
- Improve product cycle time by up to 25 percent;
- Speed engineering change order cycle time by more than 75 percent;
- Reduce scrap and rework by up to 50 percent; and
- Increase supply chain collaboration by more than 50 percent.
“Arena allowed us to move from email chains and Excel spreadsheets to a centralized, common picture of our bill of materials,” saidJoe Burnette, product manager at i4c Innovations. “I greatly appreciate the plug-and-play ability of a cloud-based app.”
- Totus Solutions makes security lighting systems that incorporate optimized LED lighting, megapixel IP surveillance, multi-day media storage, and secure wireless communications in a single solution. With Arena, Totus was able to:
- Accelerate engineering change order cycle time by more than 75 percent;
- Cut scrap and rework in half; and
- Increase supply chain collaboration by up to 75 percent.
“It just works,” said Gary Howard, director of hardware development at Totus. “Product transitions and life cycle evolutions are continuous. Arena keeps it all accurate and documented.”
“The Internet of Things represents a tectonic shift for new product possibilities in nascent and moribund enterprises alike. Those who do not draft this movement’s momentum and investigate how PLM can greatly enhance their ability to release high-quality products faster in this newfound and more complex world do so at their own peril,” said Kent Killmer, vice president of marketing at Arena. “With Arena’s cloud-based PLM, organizations can incorporate IoT into their products, reducing cost, improving quality and collapsing time to market.”
For more information on IoT and Arena PLM, download the whitepaper, “Secrets to Success in the Hot IoT Space.”
About Arena Solutions
Pioneer of cloud-based PLM, Arena’s suite of PLM and supply chain solutions enable engineering, manufacturing and their extended supply chains to speed prototyping, reduce scrap, streamline their supply chain, improve margins, and collapse time to market. Based in Foster City, Calif., Arena’s PLM applications simplify bill of materials (BOM) and change management for organizations of all sizes, and the company has been ranked as a Top 10 PLM provider and Top 5 Supplier Collaboration solution. Arena also holds a spot on National Association for Business Resources’ “San Francisco’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For” List for 2015. For more information, please visit: http://www.arenasolutions.com/
To learn more about Arena Solutions:
Arena and Arena Solutions are trademarks of Arena Solutions, Inc., Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off. All rights reserved. Other product and company names are the property of their respective holders.
SOURCE Arena Solutions
Original content was posted here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/arena-helps-power-iot-revolution-300190438.html